Saturday, July 31, 2010

Ramblings on my Research

So.... excited I just got my book yesterday! Yay. lol I think I sat there for a good twenty minutes just hugging (and admittedly somewhat rubbing) it against my chest... and squealing. Then I promptly sent a very excited email to the author, who has PhD.....I just hope it wasn't too.......puppyish.

Then I read and read and I just got done with it today. It was a fascinating read but I realize my mind tends to wonder if there's not a story to tell. D:

SO...... yeah just got done reading. Bowman's book examines role playing games through studying the benefits of role playing, problem solving, identity and typologies of role players. What I wanted to do was to emphasize the importance of play for adults and present my information to support the idea of play. I was going to take the perspective of play because I felt that it integrated: role play, pretend play, physical play and word play (story telling?). I was going to talk about the benefits of play, e.g. role playing helps people practice emotions/actions/behaviors, they learn about their world in a safe environment, etc.

Gender was suppose to help me examine it from, roles, I think I want to examine how people construct their gender and the comfort and safety of constructing a masculine or feminine role without misconceptions or judgments or consequences to their real self, because everyone understands this is just a game, this is just fake it's not real. But at the same time it has real life consequences and benefits.

I wanted to examine it from---

I think I have been satisfied by Bowman's book. :3 I think I wanted to write about the benefits of role playing and fight against the stigma people had against larpers, now that she has addressed it very eloquently in her book I no longer feel like saving the world. :D haha.

So I think I will examine it from the subculture of larping now... (break) I just took a break to talked to Ruben about this...

and this is what I got, in the aspect of play

gender roles that you play allow you to explore gender roles....
why adults need play motivations and
self construction how play influences that...

and now I have to read more about subcultures and what the really means to be a subculture.

Now about the SCA, it's questionable to try to define it as a larping... so I have to figure out what "gaming" really is.

Now those are my thoughts I'm going to go to work now...

1 comment:

emcy lee said...

Play allows them a safe environment to explore things that they would otherwise not do so. Larping subculture encourages this culture of acceptance.

And thus people feel comfortable exploring gender roles, (I mean I noticed that the men that I've talked to tried not to limit women from being what they want to be, they talk about how women and men play the same role and that there are not differences--but truthfully there are some)

They are motivated to play because it's fun, it's not work, it's escapism. This attitude of fun, builds (?) a community of acceptance, a community that many feel that they previously not had.

Play allows them to not only explore their gender roles but also aspects of themselves that would otherwise not be socially acceptable to do so, and even to rely on this personalities at time to get them through situations.

They also have an accepting and including attitude, David said that's because it's the gamer's attitude, they want to include everyone.